- Put two Oreo cookies in a plastic baggy and crush them.
- Spoon chocolate pudding into clear cup.
- Add half the crushed Oreo cookies to pudding and stir.
- Sprinkle remaining crushed Oreo cookies on top to make "dirt."
- Add two gummy worms on top.
|Crushing Oreo cookies|
|Mmm, mmm, good!|
Craft: Decorate Canvas Bags
Craft: Magazine Weaving
- Using ruler, draw line vertically on one edge of black paper.
- Fold paper in half. Cut slits from fold to drawn lines. Slits can be zig zag, curved/wavy, or straight.
- Open up paper. Weave strips of magazine pages through the slits, gluing down strips at either end and cutting excess magazine paper off.
Craft: Bug Hotel
- Cut both ends off plastic water bottle.
- Fill with sticks of varying sizes.
- Take home and place on ground outside for bugs to live in.
Craft: Egg Carton Pot w/Sunflower Seeds
- Fill egg carton cup with soil.
- Place two sunflower seeds in soil.
- Place cup in baggie for taking home.
DVD: Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin
This was a great program, although some kids whiz through the activities and are done in half an hour while others took the full time. We ended up doing the Bug Hotel only with the smaller evening group as a filler when others had finished. We showed Diary of a Worm as a filler as well in both sessions and it was amazing how sucked in the kids got (even those who groaned at the title). The bags were a HUGE hit and turned out really cute. The magazine weaving worked fairly well and thankfully we had volunteers for our first session to help the kids with the cutting. They did fine with the weaving, but we a had at least one in each session who wanted to cut along the drawn line. They loved the snack, but we should have placed the program prior to Lent. There were a few kids who had given up chocolate or candy for Lent and were good about not eating them during the program. We did give them an alternative snack (fruit roll-up). Overall a good program, but it could use a little tweaking to make it longer.
Attendance: 33, 11